Thursday, July 3, 2014

St. Bridget's Well: a place of faith

After my stop at the Cliffs of Moher last weekend, I noticed in my guidebook a small entry on St. Bridget's Well (near Liscannor). As I was in the area and had the time, I fancied a stop, imagining an unvisited natural spring dedicated to one of Ireland's patron saints.

Upon arrival, I could only find a cemetery, which was situated atop a hill overlooking lush, patchwork fields; quite the place to rest in peace. Here and at other Irish graves, I've noticed that in addition to silk and cut flowers, there are quite a few potted plants, indicating dedicated, continued attendance.


I wandered around the cemetery a bit and couldn't find the spring. But there were a few small families milling around one end, so I asked them, and they invited me to join them as the rounded a corner down some stairs.

The number of people there really surprised me! Three or four small families were visiting the area and sipping water directly from the well or filling bottles with (blessed?) water. Apart from the kids who were just running down, the people were actively praying or pondering in the little grotto. Out of respect, I waited for people to leave before snapping some shots.



People had left memorabilia of their loved ones, or even reports of miracles in their own lives. Among the items were many small program notes from loved ones' funeral services.

At the far end, a trickle of water sprung out of the hillside.


Testimony of the miraculous healing of Jimmy Delaney (with brother Michael).

Many of the notes were carefully prepared, but many notes were written seemingly on the spot, as though someone close to them suddenly came to mind.

A prayer request for Shirley in America who is healing from cancer (6/6/14).

A plea for the protection of Julia's husband, Kieron, written on the back of a receipt.




It was a beautiful place to be in. Although the memorabilia ranged from prepared to "in the moment" and new to faded, what was really touching was the devotion and faith that was demonstrated; visitors didn't come because of routine, but out of real intent and care.


No comments:

Post a Comment