Friday, July 4, 2014

The impertinent sheep of Eask Tower

This weekend I'm down in the Dingle Peninsula, checking out the small touristy seaside town and jaunting around surrounding area.

But before I got there, I drove by some (cloned?) cows.

Did we learn nothing from Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang??


I climbed a large hill. (hey, it's 600 feet above sea level! that's a decent hike.)
upper right-ish is Eask Tower!
I met some sheep who I thought were new friends.

I thought about chasing them (like Malcolm and I did in England '99) but noticed that they were watching me out of the corner of their eyers. I was simultaneously creeped out and discouraged.
And I saw lots of wild fuchsias here, as well as in other parts of the 'sula.

Unfortunately, I hadn't taken my hiking boots. My shoes were fine for walking on flat ground, but are not tight. Therefore, with every step I took uphill, my shoe would bite onto and pull down a bit more of my sock. I could make it 70 paces (I counted) before my socks looked like this:

I mean, I am single-handidly making fanny packs a thing. But squinched socks is beyond even my trend-setting skillz.
I finally made it to the top of the hill, which had clear signs of life.

And great views!

Eask Tower is solid stone and was built in 1847. It had a giant wooden hand on its side to direct water traffic into the tortuous bay. Construction was funded by a Protestant priest who--according to the plaque--wanted to get in good with the starvation-stricken Catholic population.

Somewhat ironically, the locals eventually (100 years later) held Catholic Mass on the site.

Having gotten my fill of the grandeur, I headed back down.

BUT some sheep blocked my path. Some friends they turned out to be...
"Ewe shall not pass!"
The landowners have thoughtfully left a bucket of water and a brush to remove aforementioned signs of life, and there was a puppy border collie there to greet me!


Not quite a cat, but Sally did the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment